The policies, by-laws and eligibility requirements are continually under review, therefore we welcome any thoughts or suggestions you may have on this aspect of the fund. Please email your comments or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. The following funding rules will apply:
- In order to be eligible for funding, an artist must have begun production on the record for which they are applying prior to submitting their application. This does not refer to pre-production but the actual recording of bed tracks for the release.
- All domestic marketing initiatives must be related to spending in Canada only other than digital marketing/advertising which can originate anywhere. The Radio Starmaker Fund will consider funding domestic and international live appearances in the touring application sections. Please review the FAQ’s section for further clarification as some restrictions apply.
- Significant Investment can be established by spending in approved categories 12 months prior to the deadline for the round in which you apply, as well as any anticipated spending you will make up until 8 months following the deadline for the round in which you apply. Please see FAQ #15 for further details. Funding initiatives cannot be claimed retroactively. Labels may claim reimbursement for funding initiatives commencing from the date their applications are submitted.
- For domestic marketing applications, bundle funding will be capped at $20,000.
- For international marketing applications, bundle funding caps are outlined in the International Marketing Funding Rules.
All marketing applications must be submitted under the artist’s most recent full-length and/or their most recent bundle either of which can be released up to 6 months after the deadline for the round.
Keep in mind that as long as there is no change in genre or type of release (independent vs. major), sales eligibility lasts for 5 years from the eligible title’s release date. As long as new recordings are within that 5 year window then there should be no issue with the upcoming title being eligible for funding consideration. If there is a change in genre or type of release for the upcoming title, then you must still have sales eligibility with the new release in order to be able to apply. Please review FAQ #1 & FAQ #10 for further information should there be a change in genre or type of release for the upcoming title.
- Website design is capped at $25,000 in funding per release and is part of the Digital Marketing category.
- You may include direct monthly or flat fee charges from your distributor should you hire them to work your project to the press and/or radio. You may also use your distributor for digital marketing campaigns including Facebook. These initiatives will be considered as both significant investment or funding requests in our domestic marketing applications or as funding requests in our international marketing applications. These can only be accepted should you be invoiced for this work. They cannot be accepted if the fee is paid to your distributor as a percentage of sales.
- Facebook advertising will be considered as both significant investment or funding requests in our marketing applications. There will be no specific cap for Facebook advertising in a Domestic Marketing application.
- All expenses must be 3rd party expenditures supported by original invoices. The Radio Starmaker Fund will accept copies of the following as acceptable proof of payment:
Cash receipts will not be accepted as proof of payment.
- original cancelled cheques
- on-line banking transaction receipts
- original money order/bank draft receipts
- credit card statements and
- wire transfer payments included on your bank statement with a wire transfer number
- All RSF funding for marketing initiatives must be 100% funded by the RSF. None of your marketing initiatives can be funded in whole or in part by any other funding organization. If any portion of an individual invoice has been previously recognized by any other funding organization, the expense will not be considered by the RSF. All RSF tour approvals must be declared to FACTOR as income if you’re applying for the same appearances.
- As part of the applicant agreement, you will be required to agree to a full and complete audit of your books and records without restriction in order to authenticate expenditures and payments. Any misappropriation of funds will be subject to penalties of repayment as well as possible suspension from using the Fund for up to 5 years as determined by the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors of the Radio Starmaker Fund shall make the final determination on all funding requests and their decision is final and binding and not subject to review or appeal. The criteria used by the Board shall be comprised of a number of factors including the track record of the artist, the amount of investment being made by the label, the marketing plan and the resources available to the Fund in that period.